Tuesday 6 March 2012

WEDNESDAY CLUB - David Bowie - Starman

MIDWEEK CRISIS your think you have been abducted, come to  WEDNESDAY CLUB we've got David Bowie!  Can you hear me Major Tom?
DAVID BOWIE - Starman(1972)

This is a true story, as are all my little dabblings. I was totally freaked out by seeing Mr Bowie on 'Top of the Pops', it was like nothing I have ever seen before, but it was brilliant, it was fantastic, (boys showing affection, whats going on?).  I had to get ' Ziggy Stardust ' this is what it is all about! This is why! I knew I loved music!

My girlfriend (now wife) was a Stewardess with  'Courtline'  in Luton and was on a trip to Malaga that night. She left for the flight and left me to my own devices. She would be home at about 0600 in the morning. She had just bought a new Philips stereo from Boots. Wow! it sounded the real deal, 'stereo'. I set it up in her room with one speaker on each side of the bed. I got myself placed on the bed,  I had a supply of refreshments (beers etc.etc.).  She always got Duty Frees, beers and tabs, on return from every flight (bonus) and I put 'Ziggy Stardust' on!

I don't think anything else before or after has made such an impression on me (and I am talking Dylan/Beatles here) but this just blew me away....I had it on repeat! on repeat!  on repeat!

'If we can sparlkle he may land tonight'.

'Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars'  was still playing  when she returned from her flight in the early morning (probably 7 to 9 hours later)  and I wanted  to share it with her!

'I'm a Starman!'  (Iwas in the strastophere?)


'She told me not to blow it!'  (I did!)


See Mick Ronson in the video there next to Bowie, oh fantastic!  R.I.P.

'Ziggy Stardust' is definately in my top 10 (very high up) of my all time best Albums. Try it!  'Cause he knows it's all worth while!'
I told him not to blow it
For more WEDNESDAY CLUB intergalactic nonsense!

Related Posts

WEDNESDAY CLUB - David Bowie - Starman
4/ 5
Oleh

Subscribe via email

Like the post above? Please subscribe to the latest posts directly via email.

5 comments

Tulis comments
avatar
6 March 2012 at 22:55

That TOTP appearance was mind-blowing and it had the exactly the same affect on me (as I'm sure it must have for thousands of others). We'd had Marc Bolan for a while but Bowie was just 'something else'. Oddly, although I loved 'Starman' it didn't lead me to becoming a Bowie fan until a few years later (around the time of 'Heroes'), so I missed out on all the Ziggy/Aladdin Sane thing. I think that was due to some sort of loyalty to Bolan.

I'm with you on Mick Ronson - fabulous guitarist and his solo albums are pretty good, too.

Reply
avatar
7 March 2012 at 00:32

SB Aladdin Sane album was probably my most anticipaed album but was a great dissapointment to me....I think I was looking for another Ziggy.....however I appreciated it years later....strange this loyalty thing!

Reply
avatar
7 March 2012 at 01:06

It was a bit like being a football fan. Weird.

Reply
avatar
7 March 2012 at 08:58

Classic...must have been amazing to have seen that at the time. The bassist has either incredible lambchops or equally fetching earings.

Reply
avatar
sfw
7 March 2012 at 13:36

Classic Bowie. Love this song and quite partial to the the two squirrel tails on the bassist!

Reply

Powered by Blogger.